They are eggs so do not try to bulldoze them in the pan. How to boil eggs without cracking them? Well, the solution lies in the slotted spoon. The kitchen savvy advise us to utilize the slotted spoon to remove boiled eggs. This is a tried trick to save the shell of your egg while boiling them in a saucepan. A maestro always concentrates on the details that turn a dish from good to great. Learn the best tricks to cook an egg in the shell.
Tricks to boil eggs without cracking them
- Eggs with fine surface lines represent the cracked ones,and must be avoided for boiling purposes. Always check the egg carton beforehand.
- Sudden thermal shock is the reason for cracking of eggs in the saucepan. Remember physics? Sudden temperature differences lead to thermal shock. Always bring the cold eggs to normal room temperature before placing them on the burner. Do this by putting them in the cold water for 15 to 20 minutes before boiling them.
- Though eggshells are not soft, they require gentle treatment. Therefore, gently put them inside the saucepan instead of dropping them.
- You might have noticed the tossing of eggs while boiling them. This leads to the cracking of eggs. This can be easily avoided by cooking them below the simmer.
- Make use of the egg carton for storage of eggs in the refrigerator. Store them properly to avoid their cracking.
- Keep the cracked eggs separately from the smooth eggs.
- Avoid crowding of eggs in the saucepan. It is of the utmost importance to provide room for the eggs while boiling them. This avoids cracking of shells. Put them in a saucepan large enough to hold them in a single layer.
- Avoid using those eggs which are near to their expiry date. These eggs are most likely to crack.
Some also advise the addition of a pinch of salt and vinegar to keep the eggs from cracking.
- Place them in Ziploc storage bags and then boil them. This not only protects eggs from cracking, but also makes them tastier.
- Piercing the eggshell on the broader side prevents cracking. This can be easily done with the aid of a pin.This trick is under-used by many experts but some find it effective.
Disadvantages of cracked eggs
Awareness of how to boil eggs without cracking them saves you from the following dangers of cracked eggs.
- Loss of protein due to leakage through the cracked surface.
- Cracked boiled eggs cannot be used as Easter eggs for dying purposes. Only perfectly boiled eggs can be used for coloring.
- Cracked eggs without refrigeration for more than two hours can cause food poisoning.
Well, this was my quest on how to boil eggs without cracking them. There are several other tricks yet to unveil with the maestro of egg recipes. Cooking an egg in the shell is not an easy job. This is an art, which is learned like the professional does. If you are aware any tricks not covered here, please drop them in the comment section.